Monica Grohne, founder of menstrual wellness brand Marea, discovered this the hard way after her brand launched an Instagram giveaway.
A playbook losing its luster
- Follow 10 brand accounts on Instagram
- Like the announcement post
- Tag friends in the comment
The prize? A $500 bundle of menstrual care products.
“It’s flopping,” Grohne tweeted.
The giveaway catch-22
Giveaways come with a tangle of pros and cons — so they’re not easy to pull off or give up.
- PRO: They boost organic follower count. That “builds trust and is important for a [brand’s] validation” Grohne noted — though some view followers as a vanity metric.
- CON: They hurt engagement. They attract deal-seekers unlikely to engage with future posts (or buy).
- CON: Instagram’s algorithm penalizes them. Or so it seems — though it didn’t always.
Instagram giveaways can still do some good if you target existing customers, but they’re losing relevance to collab posts and Reels, Grohne said.